In the name of safety, we review each renter that signs up on Boatsetter. Each renter must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age [for captained rentals]
- Be at least 25 years of age [for bareboat rentals]
- Possess a current, valid driver's license (you must have held your current license for at least two consecutive years)
- Not have any criminal convictions on your record in the last 10 years
- Not have any major driving violations on your record in the last 3 years
- Not have a boat insurance claim in the past 3 years
- Possess a mobile phone in your own name that we can verify via text message
If any you do not meet one or more of these criteria, you renter application may require review. Additionally, you are required to notify Boatsetter of any changes to your eligibility. This includes and not limited to:
- The status of a driver's license
- Any criminal charges prior to renting a boat using the services
Failure to notify and gain proper ap oval, will result in your account being deactivated. Additionally, Boatsetter may periodically monitor any renter’s driving record, credit score, or educational requirements to ensure that such renter continues to qualify for membership under our renter eligibility requirements.
While most states do not require you to have a license, boating requirements do vary from state to state. To qualify for Geico Marine coverage, you do need to meet any state requirement for licensing and/or certification. To see if your state requires a license and/or certification, please visit Boater Exam.
We highly recommend all renters obtain a Boating License. To get your license online, simply click here!